LTG John M. Murray
United States Army
About Us:Mission and Roles
Deputy Chief of Staff, G–8, is the principal military advisor to the ASA(FM&C) for program development and justification; G-8 coordinates with the ASA(ALT) on all proposed programming recommendations that are related to ongoing acquisition program and science and technology initiatives. . . General Order #1.
- Principal ARSTAF adviser to the CSA on all materiel requirements and the prioritization, integration, and programming of Army and joint materiel capabilities for integration into the overall prioritization of capabilities by the DCS, G-3/5/7.
- Developing, in coordination with the ASA(ALT), the Army equipment strategy; equipment
modernization plans, policies, programming, and analysis; and equipment readiness plans and policies.
- Responsible for the future Army through:
- Materiel Requirements (Current and Future)
- Strategic Defense Reviews
- Studies and Analyses
- Develop, independently assess, integrate, synchronize, and defend the Army program (PAE)
- Joint materiel requirements, materiel programming, Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel,
Leadership and Education, Personnel, Facilities, and Policy (DOTMLPF-P) integration, affordability
assessments and program execution (FD)
- Army lead for Joint Requirements Oversight Council (JROC) (FD)
- Advise Army on equipment production to meet future MTOE Requirements (FD)
- Army lead for conduct of Defense Strategy Reviews, development of Defense Planning Guidance,
assessment and implementation of the National Commission on the Future of the Army
recommendations, and Deputy Secretary of Defense’s Management Action Group (DMAG) (AQDRO)
- Conduct analysis of Army forces and systems in joint, multinational operations and integrate
and leverage modeling and simulation capabilities across the Army (CAA)